Outline: If you are not clear about iPhone backup file location, read this article to learn how to find iPhone backup locations and view backup files.
As a fancier of Apple's iPhone devices, you may have confusion about where to find iPhone backup. Normally, each time when you sync iPhone with iTunes, iTunes will automatically generate a backup, or you can automatically backup your iPhone at anytime by right-clicking the iPhone in iTunes under Devices and choosing Back Up. Here we list top 5 questions you ask about the location of iPhone backup files. Check them out and find answers.
1. Where is the iPhone Backup File Location on Mac and in Windows?
By default, iTunes will place the backup files to the following path. Check it out.
iTunes backup location on Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
iTunes backup location on Windows Vista/Windows 7/8/10: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
iTunes backup location on Mac (Yosemite/Mavericks): ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
Note 1: The Application Data/AppData is a hidden folder in Windows. So you must turn on “Show hidden files and folders” option in Windows to see that folder.
Note 2: The “~” represents your home directory of Mac OS. If you don’t see Library in your Home folder, hold Option and click the Go menu.
2. How to Delete iTunes Backup & Change iTunes Backup Location?
Option 1: Delete iTunes Backup
1. Open iTunes Preferences. For Windows users, choose Edit > Preferences; for Mac users, choose iTunes > Preferences.
2. Click Devices and select the backup your want to remove. Then click Delete Backup to delete the selected backup.
Option 2: Change iTunes Backup Location
Apple does not provide a direct way of changing location where the contents of iDevices are backed up. Here we’ll share quick ways for Windows/Mac users to easily move their backup for iTunes to another disk.
For Windows Users:
1. Ensure that iTunes is closed and navigate to the folder where your iPhone backups are.
2. Move the backup folder from C: Drive to the new desired destination via a simple drag and drop.
3. From the Start Menu, type cmd.exe. Open the Command Prompt, right-click it and choose Run as Administrator.
4. From the Command Prompt, type mklink /J “%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup” “the new location of the backup folder”.
5. Press Enter and wait for Windows to create a symbolic link to the new folder from the old one.
For Mac Users:
1. Make sure that iTunes isn’t running. Move your iTunes backup folder ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ to the location of your choice.
2. Launch Terminal Applications/Utilities/Terminal on your operating system.
3. Once launched, type the following command line: ln -s /Volumes/DriveName/Backup/ ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup (the DriveName would be the name of the new backup location).
Question 3. What is Stored in iPhone Backup
iTunes will backup camera roll (images), safari bookmarks, mail accounts, call history, network settings, voice memos, Auto fill information for webpages, messages, app settings, keyboard shortcuts, game center account, In-app purchases and wallpapers. So its really important to backup your iPhone data using iTunes.
Note: Any videos greater than 2GB are not backed up.
Question 4. What are the files named in iPhone Backup File Location?
The filenames of iPhone in iTunes are encoded, here are what they are:
Question 5. How to Find and View Files from iPhone Backup?
Want to restore your iPhone, but unfortunately find the backup file have been deleted by mistake? Don’t worry. You can use an iPhone Data Recovery to recover deleted files from iPhone 6S/6S Plus/6/6 Plus/6S/6S Plus directly.
Wondershare Dr.Fone for iOS is an iPhone backup extractor to help you quickly and easily find your iPhone backup data. It can automatically detect, find and list all your iPhone backup files without opening iTunes or connecting your iPhone to computer. And you don't need to take the trouble to remember the backup locations. Such a convenience! Now download and install it on your Windows PC. Mac users go to Wondershare Dr.Fone for iOS (Mac) and you will know how to find to iPhone backup files on MacBook Pro, iMac, MacBook Air, Mac Pro.
Free Download iPhone Data Recovery Software:
Learn how to Recover iPhone Data without iTunes backup here.
With all the questions clear, you can better handle what you want to deal with iPhone backup file. Users have several reasons to find location of iPhone backup; but it is advisable to trust iTunes to take care of all your iPhone backup. This knowledge of finding location of your iPhone backup comes to your help when you want to Jailbreak your device.
Wondershare TunesGo: Frees your music anywhere from iPhone, doing what iTunes can’t.
Wondershare Dr.Fone for Android: A quick way to recover your lost or deleted data from Android .
Wondershare MobileTrans: One-click phone transfer tool to let you transfer data between Android, iOS, and Symbian devices.
iFastime Video Converter Ultimate: Make all your Blu-ray, DVD collections and movie library compatible with iPhone.
Buy iPhone Data Recovery Software for Win/Mac now:
Have more questions about how to view iPhone Backup Files on PC/Mac, please feel free to contact us>> or leave a message at Facebook.
- iOS 9 Update Guide
- Top 20 Best Mac iOS Data Recovery Tools for iOS 9
- Recover Deleted/Lost iPhone Halloween photos on Mac
- How to Restore Lost Data on iPhone 6S?
- How to Recover Lost iPhone 6S Photos from iCloud Backup?
- Extract iTunes Backup File of iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch on Mac